COVID-19 UPDATE: Pet adoptions will resume by appointment-only Monday, May 11th at 6am
Due to COVID-19, our adoption process has changed. Adoptions of our animals from our Kent shelter have switched to an appointment-based system. Please visit our pet adoption page to learn about this new process. For more information about the COVID-19 outbreak, visit kingcounty.gov/covid.
Our number one priority at RASKC continues to be focused on delivering our mission of “Helping People and Pets.” We are honored to be of continued service to our communities, both in person when needed as well as online. You can access many of our services from the comfort of home.
To schedule your appointment visit www.kingcounty.gov/adoptapet. For an overview of the steps, please see below.
- View listing of adoptable animals — Scroll through our list of available pets below. (Note: If you find you are interested in a pet who’s location shows they are in a foster home, please follow the steps for “Foster Process”.)
- Schedule your appointment — Interested in visiting with a pet at the shelter? Select a date and a time to come and visit with one of our furry friends. These appointments are typically an hour long (30 minutes to meet and greet with up to 3 pets followed by 20-30 minutes of adoption paperwork).
- Meet and greet with shelter pets — Upon arrival, depending on who you are visiting — cat or dog — you’ll be brought to either a colony room or meet and greet room. If weather permits, dog meet and greets may also take place in our enclosed play field. For the first thirty minutes of your visit, let us know what available pets you are interested in meeting (this may be limited to no more than three pets) and we’ll bring them to you.
- Go home with your best friend! — Successful match? We’ll take the next half hour of the appointment to process your adoption, including answering any first-time pet adoption questions.
- Animal Control ResponseWe respond to non-emergency calls seven days a week from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Animal Control Officers (ACOs) conduct investigations, enforce state and local laws related to animals, as well as educate the public about animal welfare, restraint, and licensing. For emergencies involving immediate threats to public safety or animals, please call 9-1-1.
- Found a Pet?Does it have a tag? Call our license look up (206-296-2712) and you may connect with their owner by phone. No tag? If the animal is not aggressive and you would like to keep it in your home, check out the step-by-step helpful instructions on our found stray pet webpage.
- Lost a Pet?Start off by taking a look at the stray animals on our website that are being cared for by our staff. Also, add your pet’s information to our lost pets database. You will be notified by email if an animal matching your description is added to our database. While we make every effort to ensure that our information is correct, we recommend you check for your missing pet in person at the Pet Adoption Center in Kent.
- Pet LicensePurchase or renew your pet license
- Looking for ways to help animals?Support your local animal shelter or rescue! Whether it is RASKC or our friends nearby including Meow Kirkland, Auburn Valley Humane Society, Burien CARES, Seattle Animal Shelter, Seattle Feline Rescue, PAWS Lynnwood, Pasado’s Safe Haven, and many others, we encourage you to consider fostering and/or providing monetary or in-kind donations. All of these shelters and rescues need your support now and in the coming months especially. As you may know, kitten season is around the corner and many shelters, including RASKC, seek foster family help during this time. For more information on ways you can help make a difference, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our donations page for information on financial and/or in-kind donations that support pets at our shelter, in foster as well as in the community. (See wish list/ Amazon wish list)
While our shelter hours of operation remain the same, we have made modifications to ensure the health and safety of pets and people:
- Partner Adoption Stores: We are temporarily pausing adoption operations at our partner stores. This will focus our resources at the Kent Adoption Center as we continue to help people and pets during this challenging time. We look forward to resuming adoptions at our partner stores as soon as we can.
- Kent Adoption Center:Cleaning — We use a hospital-grade disinfectant, widely used in the animal care industry, to clean kennels, floors and walls. We also routinely clean all frequently touched surfaces in the shelter workplace such as workstations, counter tops and doorknobs. That said, remember to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before and after interacting with animals (good idea at home too).
- Visitors and Potential Adopters — Our team will limit the number of customers in our front lobby and adoption areas to facilitate the social distancing so important in minimizing viral spread. We ask that for your safety, and others, to respect the recommendation of six feet of physical separation.
Thank you so much for your support of animals. We are continuing to the best of our abilities to help people and pets of King County during this public health emergency. If you need our help, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 206-296-7387 (PETS).